[TriLUG] Failure Copying Large Amounts of Data

Lance A. Brown lance at bearcircle.net
Sat Apr 17 02:58:08 EDT 2010

I've found the performance penalty for going into swap anymore is so
steep that it almost always make sense to just buy more RAM.  Hell, the
only time my linux boxes at work (desktops and servers) go into swap is
when someone does something egregious with a large dataset anymore.
Watching a 3.0Ghz Core 2 Duo box tank its CPU effectiveness when a
MATLAB job gets enormous is painful.

--[Lance]

--
 GPG Fingerprint: 409B A409 A38D 92BF 15D9 6EEE 9A82 F2AC 69AC 07B9
 CACert.org Assurer