[TriLUG] SC elections
Dafydd J. Stillman
djstillman at ycsi.org
Sun Apr 25 06:40:06 EDT 2010
Gotta say, you do have some fun emails. I was chuckling through this one.
If ya need, I can meet up with ya to grab "the box" if you do not already have a volunteer...
Let me know.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan Porter" <porter at trilug.org>
To: "Triangle Linux Users Group discussion list" <trilug at trilug.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 12:13:57 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [TriLUG] SC elections
It's that time of year again... time for TriLUG steering
committee elections. We will have elections at the beginning
of our May meeting. Votes will be counted during the speaker
presentation  and results announced at the end of the meeting.
As always, members are elected to serve on the SC -- not for a
specific role on the SC. After the election is over, the five
new SC members will get together and do rock-scissors-paper to
decide who gets what role (although this past year, I tried to
de-emphasize the specific roles, hoping that interoperability
would make us more accessible and effective).
What does the SC do?
- Plan speakers for meetings.
- Organize meetings, pizza, wifi, etc.
- Keep the servers up and running, prune spam.
- Manage bank accounts, paperwork, etc.
- Keep the members happy in general.
- Brag about how being on the SC makes them cool.
What should you do if you're interested in helping?
- Post something to this list, get the word out.
- Give a (short) stump speech at the May meeting.
- Make a donation to the Alan Porter Linux fund.
Why would I want to do a crazy thing like that?
- It's fun.
- Raw power... ruler of the nerds!
- It's a great way to pay back the community.
- Increase your visibility .
- You get to choose what toppings we put on the pizzas.
Are you running for Steering Committee again?
- Yes, I am running .
- I will probably *not* be at the May meeting .
- No, I do not want to work at Cerient .
- I could be convinced to work at Google .
It's been fun serving on the SC this year. I hope that a
few enthusiastic LUG members will join me for next year.
So nominate yourself. Or better, nominate one of your
 We currently do not have a speaker lined up for the May
meeting. Booking speakers is feast or famine, and this looks
like a dry spell. As always, contact any SC member if you
have an idea for a speaker.
 There was a time when being on the Steering Committee
meant a guaranteed job at Cerient. There was a later time
when being on the SC meant you got a job offer from Google,
and had to vacate your position to move to California.
 Even though I missed almost half of the meetings (Oct,
Dec, Jan, Apr, and now May), I still think I have put in a
good effort. And I probably have a few more good miles left
 There's a Space Shuttle launch the next day, and I am
hoping to take my kids to see it. It's a long drive to
TriLUG mailing list : http://www.trilug.org/mailman/listinfo/trilug
TriLUG FAQ : http://www.trilug.org/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions
More information about the TriLUG