[TriLUG] Slightly OT: Question about Home Office Cooling

Cristóbal Palmer cmp at cmpalmer.org
Mon Apr 19 22:11:26 EDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 5:06 PM, Ron Kelley <rkelleyrtp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you put your servers in your basement and use IPKVM, VNC, or RDP?  I routinely work with two monitors on my desk (running Mac) and use a combination of RDP, VNC, and xterm to get work done.

To follow up on this, dropping some cat6 and getting really nice 5- or
8-port switches would still be cheaper than some of the cooling you
propose, and would allow you to stick machines in the basement and do
any number of remote setups with negligible lag.

As an aside, I've found that freenx-server works really well (compared
to alternatives) to access an Ubuntu machine I manage.

Cheers,
--
Cristóbal M. Palmer
ibiblio.org systems