[TriLUG] VNC/SSH Tunneling speed

Brian Cottingham spiffytech at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 11:26:57 EDT 2010

If you're having a bandwidth/latency problem with VNC take a look at NX[1].
Rather than just passing screenshots over the network it passes actual X11
events back and forth, which have a much lower overhead than bitmaps. I've
found it quite usable over the Internet, and it has all the features you
could need: connections run over SSH, display resizing, connecting to an
existing X session, and settings for faster/slower networks.

-Brian

[1] http://www.nomachine.com/download.php