[TriLUG] Assistance with LAMP installation on CentOS 5

Russ Jones russ at virante.com
Mon Apr 26 16:58:38 EDT 2010

Hey folks,

I am looking for someone to assist me in getting a server set up ASAP. In
particular, I need MySQL 5.1+, PHP 5.2+, Apache 2 and memcached installed
and working. Most importantly, I need MySQL 5.1+ because of table
partitioning. Unfortunately, I am running into particular problems with
mysql, although as far as I can tell the other 3 are working just fine.
Regardless, given the time frame (i need to get this done preferably in the
next 24 hours). I am fully prepared to pay a consultant to help if it comes
to that, as time is of the essence and my failures over the last several
hours are making me less confident that I am capable of solving the
problem.

First, let me explain where exactly I am in the process... I have installed
the iuscommunity repos and used them to successfully install Apache, PHP 5.2
and memcached + pecl memcached  (http://209.119.116.116/index.php)

The only catch now is mysql 5.1+, which will not behave. When attempting to
start mysql for the first time using "/etc/init.d/mysqld start", the startup
times out and I receive the following logs in the error log...

/usr/libexec/mysqld: Can't find file: './mysql/plugin.frm' (errno: 13)
100426 16:53:13 [ERROR] Can't open the mysql.plugin table. Please run
mysql_upgrade to create it.
100426 16:53:14 InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 44233
100426 16:53:14 [ERROR] /usr/libexec/mysqld: Can't find file:
'./mysql/host.frm' (errno: 13)
100426 16:53:14 [ERROR] Fatal error: Can't open and lock privilege tables:
Can't find file: './mysql/host.frm' (errno: 13)
100426 16:53:14 mysqld_safe mysqld from pid file /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
ended

>From all I have read online, this appears to be a permissions/ownership
issue. I have gone in and made sure that every file in the /var/run/mysql
directory is owned by mysql:mysql, and have given more-than-ample read-write
permissions to those same files/folders.

I don't know what to do beyond this point and really don't even know where
to look next.

Any help, free or paid, would be very useful to me. Please email me at
russ at virante.com if you have any ideas or would like to work on this problem
for a fee...

Russ Jones
919-260-7818'