[TriLUG] SOLVED: Re: Failure Copying Large Amounts of Data

boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu
Wed Apr 28 14:50:47 EDT 2010

Hi Everyone,

On 16 Apr, boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu wrote:
> I have a problem copying > 90 GB of data between file systems.

Thanks for all the helpful feedback I received on this thread.  I
thought I would post the solution.  The problem was that my filesystem
was running out of inodes (the df -i command showed this).  After some
trial and error and some calculations of group size and inode size, I
decided to make my filesystem with the following mke2fs invocation:

mke2fs -c -m 1 -j -v -i 8192 -I 128 -T ext3 /dev/sdc1

I wanted to, as much as possible, emulate the filesystem parameters of
the partition I was backing up.  This is why I set the '-i' and '-I'
options on the command line.  These parameters gave me approximately 30
million inodes on 233GB partition.  In retrospect, given the size of
most of the files on this partition, the -i option could have been set
to 16384 (or 4 blocks, each block being 4096 bytes).  This, I think,
would have halved the number of inodes, but what the heck, I don't think
I'll run out of my 30 million inodes anytime soon.

The information for various filesystem parameters can be had from the
dumpe2fs program, e.g. invoke as

dumpe2fs /dev/sdc1

Again, thanks for the help.

Paul

Paul D. Boyle			    |	boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu
Director, X-ray Structural Facility |	phone: (919) 515-7362
Department of Chemistry - Box 8204  |	FAX:   (919) 515-8909
North Carolina State University     |	http://www.xray.ncsu.edu
Raleigh, NC, 27695-8204		    |
PGP Key Fingerprint = D23A 0077 A1BF 277F 8140  FFD2 E4FA 4F99 677D 863E