[TriLUG] NFS xfer speed

Clay Stuckey claystuckey at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 13:13:29 EDT 2010

I have noticed some big differences in NFS transfer speeds. I have performed
the following tests:

Lab1: centos 5.4 client mounting a QNAP NAS. I would consider it a prosumer
grade NAS.
Dd if=/dev/zero bs=512MB count=1 of=/mnt/nas
Executing this from the client, I see about 65MB/s transfer rate
GB network, mtu 9000

Lab2: centos 5.4 on client and server on dell PE2950's
Same test as above and get 25 MB/s transfer rate
GB network tried mtu 1500 and 9000. Tried nfs v3 and v4. Tried crossover
cable. No change
Used perfmon between the same hosts and tested at 122MB/s

I expect any file transfer protocol to have some overhead. Has anyone seen
something like this before?

--
Clay Stuckey - RHCE, LPIC1, CCNA, MCSE
claystuckey at gmail.com
(919) 600-0486 cell
(919) 531-1792 office (till the end of May)