[TriLUG] How to hear what you're digitizing???

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon May 3 18:22:35 EDT 2010

On Monday 03 May 2010 12:30:18 Brian Henning wrote:
> Are you concerned about the drain on the signal you'd incur by feeding a
>  set of amplified speakers from the same line that feeds your computer's
>  audio input?
>
> Phono ----+-------> CPU
>
>           --------> Amplified speakers

This would almost certainly work

Phono---->RIAA_preamp--+-->CPU

                       `-->Amplified_speakers

I already have (and need) the RIAA preamp because that's what you need coming
off a magnetic phone cartridge inorder to achieve "line out" level and
frequency response. I imagine the input impedance of a pair of amplified
speakers would not drain the RIAA preamp output.

HOWEVER...

As a practical matter, the adapters, Y's and gender benders involved with
doing this would be twenty to thirty bucks, and would be Rube Goldberg.

So what I did instead was bought a $99.00 mixer with a built-in RIAA preamp
(making my existing one redundant) and a headphone jack. Interestingly, it
gives me both an audio output that can go into the line-in of my sound card,
and a USB that can go into my computer and supposedly replace my existing
sound card.

If any of you will be near Orlando Wednesday, I'll be presenting on digitizing
vinyl Wednesday evening at Full Sail University at 436 and University, in room
3B-308, at 7pm on 5/5/2010.

Thanks

SteveT

Steve Litt