[TriLUG] OT: Flash web developers?

Matt matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Wed May 5 06:33:08 EDT 2010

Just to add $.02 to this.  It is unfortunate, but true that Flash has
been over used and abused by too many developers  In response to the
annoyance, one of the things that I keep installed in the browser is
flash block.  Mostly this is to avoid all the animated ads that suck up
bandwidth and are visually annoying.  The side effect is that legitimate
flash, such as what your customer wants get thrown out with it.  While
the blocker is supposed to allow you to easily turn a particular frame
on, it doesn't seem to work really well.  The net result is that I can't
effectively use flash based sites.  if I REALLY, and I mean REALLY want
what is on that particular site I will go to the trouble to disable the
flash blocker, but better than 9 times out of 10, I just go somewhere
else.

If your customer decides to use flash, be sure that they don't render
the site useless to someone who chooses to not accept it.