[TriLUG] Upgrade of Desktop

John Broome jbroome at gmail.com
Mon May 17 14:16:58 EDT 2010

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 14:03, Matt <matt at noway2.thruhere.net> wrote:
> I have a situation and could really use a few suggestions with that I am
> hoping someone has some good ones for.  At work, we have an older
> desktop PC that we use as a Linux server in one of our labs and I am the
> one who maintains it.   The PC has a copy of Ubuntu 8.04 on it that is
> running under an LVM.  I also think it was formatted as an EXT-2.  For
> some reason, using the LVM was the only way I was able to get the
> distribution to install.

ext2==yikes

> Does anyone have any suggestions for the best method to copy the old
> system over, but upgrade the file system in the process?

Do a fresh install of (i assume Ubuntu), and do the following (which i
stole from the ubuntu bot on freenode):

 To replicate your packages selection on another machine (or restore
it if re-installing), you can type << aptitude
                  --display-format '%p' search '?installed!?automatic'
> ~/my-packages >>, move the file "my-packages" to the other machine,
and
                  there type << sudo xargs aptitude --schedule-only
install < my-packages ; sudo aptitude install

then rsync over the data for specific applications you're using on the
old machine to the new one.