[TriLUG] Upgrade of Desktop

Matt matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Mon May 17 19:10:00 EDT 2010

I would like to say "Thank You" to everyone for their advice regarding
how to move this system to its new home.  Your help is appreciated!

The feedback gave me insight and inspiration and my plan is to try and
combine the approaches.  1 - The system image isn't very big so I will
create a small partition on the new system and use DD to copy the image
over.  If I then modify GRUB, I should be able to tell it to boot
directly to this partition and effectively have the old system running
on the new hardware.  2 - I am going to install an updated distribution
to the remaining space and use the techniques suggested to transfer and
the application packages and data.  I will also keep the old system up
temporarily until we know that everything works as planned.