[TriLUG] nagios plugins

Clay Stuckey claystuckey at gmail.com
Wed May 19 14:37:28 EDT 2010

I have been a longtime Big Brother user. I recently decided to convert over
to Nagios. I have a question. I developed a simple nagios plugin. I am
wanting to use it to perform a test on a remote server. When the check runs,
the test is performed locally on my nagios server. how do I make it run
remotely. Here are the cfg snippets:

PLUGIN:
#!/bin/bash
# Clay Stuckey 5/18/2010
# test plugin for Nagios
# 0=OK, 1=Warning, 2=Critical, 3=Unknown
result=""
# test for nfs mount
mt=`mount |grep /sharedvolume` # is /sharedvolume mounted?
if [ -z "$mt" ];then
 sudo mount /sharedvolume 2>> /tmp/naglog #
  mt=`mount |grep /sharedvolume` # is /sharedvolume mounted?
  if [ -z "$mt" ];then
    echo "/sharedvolume is unmountable - $mt"
    exit 2
  else
    echo "/sharedvolume mounted"
    exit 1
  fi
else
  echo $mt
  exit 0
fi

from commands.cfg:
define command{
  command_name check_sharedvolume
  command_line $USER1$/check_sharedvolume
}
from servers.cfg:

define host{
  use             linux-server
  host_name       server1
  alias           server1
  address         192.168.1.4
}
define service{
  use test-service
  host_name server1 # I though this was the part that says run on server1
vs. localhost
  service_description Sharedvolume
  check_command check_sharedvolume
}