[TriLUG] exchange replacement

Joseph Tate dragonstrider at gmail.com
Fri May 21 04:42:06 EDT 2010

I use hosted Zimbra, and while my Phone currently runs Windows Mobile,
the active sync standard has become pretty popular for mobile phones
to emulate.

For my one person consulting biz, I get a zimbra account from 01.com
for $50/mailbox/year, and I never have to mess with my mail server, or
upgrade it, or back it up.  And push e-mail works great (when I have a
connection anyway).  If you're using a blackberry, that's available
too, but for an extra fee.  If you ever outgrow one account, zimbra's
calendar sharing and scheduling is pretty nice (we used zimbra at
$job-1).

What I haven't figured out is what DESKTOP client to use with zimbra
to get calendar, contacts and todo on my laptop.  Zimbra's standalone
app is pretty good, but doesn't offer notifications for new mail (I
don't know about appointments), but it's still web browser slow at
reading mail, and all links in e-mails pop up in the jailed browser
instead of firefox, so I have to copy/paste links to view links with
flash for example.

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 10:04 AM, John Broome <jbroome at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 09:58, Clay Stuckey <claystuckey at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> use XP as my desktop. Anyone know if a Linux-based solution that will
>> provide email/cal/task/notes to iphone and XP? I have thought of zimbra but
>> I think it is just web-based. I want to have my iphone notify me of upcoming
>> appointments without having to be online.
>
> http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?title=IPhone
>
> You realize the iphone is "online" and able to run a web browser, right?

Joseph Tate
Personal e-mail: jtate AT dragonstrider DOT com
Web: http://www.dragonstrider.com