[TriLUG] m0n0wall hardware

Jym Williams Zavada trilugj at jrwz.net
Fri May 28 14:01:06 EDT 2010

If it's a firewall system that only need two ethernet ports, an eBox 4852
from WDL systems could work:

http://www.wdlsystems.com/modperl/view_services.cgi?r=detail&prod_num=1EBX452&aisle_id=1019)

I've only ever mail-ordered from them, but they're located in Pittsboro,
which is on the way to Ashville if you're taking Hwy 64 :).

Although I've not used the newer 48xx series, my four 38xx boxes have worked
out very well for me.  Their primary use has been as custom Linux and
OpenBSD systems (one as a print server, the other as an NTP/DNS/DHCP server)
and for embedded system development and testing.  The versions with CF slot
treat the card as an IDE drive, so are very easy to install OSes on.  I've
never tried FreeBSD on them, but I've had no problems at all with Linux or
OpenBSD, so it's likely they'd work for m0n0wall too.

Jym Williams Zavada