[TriLUG] Introducing TarHeel Linux

paul jones pjones at metalab.unc.edu
Thu Jun 10 14:01:07 EDT 2010

try this direct link. i have a feeling their redirect isn't working for
everyone:
http://thl-db2.isis.unc.edu/wiki/index.php/TarHeel_Linux

text on the home page at the moment, yes it's a wiki page, says:

*TarHeel Linux* is based on CentOS, a stable version of RedHat Enterprise
Linux, but without the branding.

The installation of *TarHeel Linux* is network-based from an ITS Research
Computing kickstart server and local software repositories.

A new fully updated and patched system can be installed in just over thirty
minutes.

The *TarHeel Linux* build includes many security enhancements added at build
time. A firewall is configured, and many recommended service settings are
put in place.

The security of the system is maintained through nightly package and OS
updates and integrity scans. A nightly summary of these reports is sent to
the root user via email.

*TarHeel Linux* user accounts are configured to take advantage of kerberized
UNC ONYEN authentication. The only encrypted password on the system is the
root password, and rules are in place to make that as strong, if not
stronger, than an ONYEN password.

Systems built using *TarHeel Linux* have access to a large
locally-maintained software repository. Applications in this repository are
built to take advantage of UNC-CH Research Computing resources. The THL
Administrators are continually updating existing and adding new applications
to this repository.

Application installation is done through the yum (Yellowdog Updater,
Modified) command, which allows for the effortless installation of only the
applications needed by the users.

Please check out the remainder of the documentation in this wiki for more
detailed information.

The Development Team for *TarHeel Linux* can be contacted at
thl_admin at listserv.unc.edu

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 1:57 PM, Alan Porter <porter at trilug.org> wrote:

> > 404s for me right now :-)
>

> 404 for me, too.  I am curious what distro this is based on (if any).
>
> Alan
>

> .
>
> --
> This message was sent to: pjones at metalab.unc.edu <pjones at metalab.unc.edu>
> TriLUG FAQ          :

"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation." Alasdair Gray

"And best of all is finding a place to be in the early days of a better
civilization." Dennis Lee