[TriLUG] transferring database contents

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Sun Jun 20 07:54:57 EDT 2010

Although this starts off not connected with Linux, I am trying to get to a Linux system with this.

I know that this group has a lot of varied knowledge and experience, so here's the question of the day.

I am in the process of preparing for a project which involves transferring from SQL Server to PostreSQL.  It was suggested that I download a copy of SQL Server Express from M$' website, and so I did and installed it in a new VM of mine.  I was also given a "backup" of the SQL Server database, which is of some binary format, which SSExpress is happy to read.

However, I can't seem to find a way to export the structure and data in a portable fashion, preferably as SQL statements.  If I could get such a thing, I am sure that, despite differences in SQL syntax, I could convert such a thing into a usable form.

Does such a method exist with this database engine?

Thanks,
Brian