[TriLUG] transferring database contents

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Tue Jun 22 12:39:35 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 09:00:51PM -0400, Tim Jowers wrote:
> Brian,
>
> You might know this but the formula is.
>
> 1. download JAva database driver for your RDBMS (jdbc driver. type 4 is
> best)
> 2. tell squirrel where to find it (drivers)
> 3. enter your database connection string. SQuirreL has some examples or
> search the web. colons and slashes separate the important stuff (machine/ip,
> port, db, username, password). Varies by db vendor.
> 4. Add the alias to your database.

Yes, I finally found some instructions that told me this.

I was thrilled when I was able to see the database in Squirrel.  I think that there are only 41 tables ( or should I be looking somewhere other than under the name of the database, Tables? ) but some of them have over 100,000 rows ( at least one is over 250,000 ), but it is going to take some time to figure out what the previous developers were doing with those tables.

My next issue is exporting as SQL statements, or possibly, as someone suggested, directly in to PostgreSQL, the ultimate target.  I know that I can get that to dump the structure and content as SQL statements.

Since I am doing this work insdide a Win VM, and the ultimate target is Linux, there are still some communication issues if I want to directly transfer machine-to-machine.

> Thanks!
> TimJowers

Thank you,
Brian