[TriLUG] Free TechShop membership (and classes) up for grabs!

Bill Farrow bill at arrowsreach.com
Wed Jul 7 09:22:54 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 1:26 AM, Jeff Schornick
> If you would like to win a one month paid-in-full membership to
> TechShop, including two free classes to get you started, reply

The TechShop has a computer controlled laser cutter [1] which you can
use to cut wood, paper, plexiglass, etc.  It is also able to etch
metals, ceramics, stone...  The machine works like a printer, except
that it cuts along the vector line (svg) and etches raster images
(jpg).  Yes, you can use Inkscape [2] on Linux to draw up your designs
(but not to print them - yet).

Once you have taken the Safety and Basic Usage (SBU) class, which
counts as one of your two free classes with the trial membership, you
can book time on the laser cutter, and just bring in your own material
to cut.  Hint: Lowes Hardware has plexiglass in various sizes and
thicknesses.

Checkout Thingiverse [3] for laser cutting projects that people around
the world have contributed. Upload and share your designs.

So I hope that helps inspire someone today... now go email Jeff.

Bill

[1] http://wiki.techshoprdu.com/index.php?title=Epilog_Laser
[2] http://www.inkscape.org/
[3] http://www.thingiverse.com/tool:33