[TriLUG] hi to trilug (again), LKD3 and online kernel programming course

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Jul 9 04:30:06 EDT 2010

  hi, rob day here -- long-time trilug members might remember me from
way back when i lived in NC a few years back, and i made a living
primarily as a linux and linux-related trainer.  anyway, a couple
tidbits of info.

  first, for people who are familiar with the classic book "linux
kernel development" by robert love, there is now a super-duper,
updated third edition:

http://www.amazon.com/Linux-Kernel-Development-Robert-Love/dp/0672329468/

  i mention this, first, because i'm the technical editor for that new
edition and i will gush over it appropriately and praise it for being
totally up to date (2.6.34 kernel version) and you should rush out and
buy a copy.  but, more importantly for trilug, the publisher sent me
two free copies based on my editorship, and they managed to mail them
to NC, and given that it's probably not worth remailing them up here
to canada from NC, i was just going to offer to donate them to the
trilug library if such a library exists.  is there one?  if so, i'll
work out how to get those two copies over there somehow, and you can
take it from there, i'll just get the publisher to send me a couple
more directly to canada.

  and second point (totally unrelated), as a new and admittedly
commercial venture, i'm currently writing and publishing an online
intro course on linux kernel programming, which you can examine here:

http://crashcourse.ca/introduction-linux-kernel-programming/introduction-linux-kernel-programming

  i'm writing and publishing that course as we speak and it's about
half done.  if you check it out, you can see that there are a number
of the early lessons that are completely free so you're welcome to
read that content and see what you think, after which -- if you want
to take the rest of the course -- the subscription cost per student is
the princely sum of $39 (CAD).

  even before registering, you can see the list of already-published
lessons, and you can read the proposed syllabus here:

http://crashcourse.ca/introduction-linux-kernel-programming/course-overview-and-syllabus

  at $39 a student, i have no illusions that i'm going to get rich off
of this -- frankly, i'm just looking to break even after putting in
many hours writing it.  :-)  but it's something i wanted to do for a
while so there it is.  and if this works out, i already have plans for
followup courses targeting specific topics, like "how to write a PCI
driver" and "how to write a USB driver," that sort of thing, for
around the same stupidly cheap price.

  and, one last bit of bragging, this really is a *course* in that
there are exercises and you're expected to *program* and actually get
things to run.  anyway, i'll shut up now but if you're interested in
the course or know anyone who might be or other places i can advertise
this, that would be great.  and the course comes with a students-only
mailing list so that registered students can talk amongst themselves
and ask each other for advice and make suggestions.

  ok, i think i'm done here.  if you have any questions about the
course, drop me a note, and also let me know about the library.
thanks.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca