[TriLUG] SATA/BIOS problem with Linux

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue Jul 20 01:16:20 EDT 2010

My son's machine is an Asus mobo with a dual core CPU and
SATA disk hardware (there is an IDE header but it's not
used). The machine has a SATA hard disk and a SATA dvd. The
BIOS has an "enhanced" and a "compatible" mode for SATA and
it's set to "enhanced".

The machine is currently running winxp and I've had little
success converting it to dual boot Linux. The following
distros/live CDs all fail (usually freeze/hang) at some
stage in booting or installing, all with some sort of disk
error: Debian, Ubuntu, SuSE (11 I think), Fedora 10. The
linux based Kaspersky antivirus when detecting the disk(s)
gets errors like

isw - device for volume "MyRAID5" broken /dev/sda
wrong number of devices in RAID set

While the more commonly used distros hang on attempting to
install, I can get Slackware to partition/boot/load/install
just fine and Slackware can mount the winxp ntfs partition
OK. However the liveCD version of Slackware (Slax) hangs in
the boot process when detecting the disks, saying something
like "this shouldn't happen".

If I move the disk to another SATA machine, and boot with a
linux rescue CD, dmesg detects the partitions (winxp +
slackware). However /dev only has a single entry for
/dev/sda (but no sda1, sda2..sdaN). fdisk shows all the
partitions, but I can't mount them (there being no
corresponding /dev/sdaN). If I manually add /dev/sda1 with
mknod, I get "no such device" on trying to mount /dev/sda1.

Even though I can't mount the partitions, I can dd copy the
disk on the alternate machine and when the copy is moved
back to the problem machine, the copy boots and runs fine.

The disk which has been initially setup on the "enhanced"
SATA machine has partitions that don't look right to linux
(it appears to look like an invalid RAID device). I would
have thought that Linux would be OK with "enhanced" SATA.
I'm assuming that I have to look at the disk with dmraid and
blockid, but I've never used those tools and don't know what
to look for or how to proceed. I assume I'll have to set the
BIOS to "compatible" (I assume "enhanced" is causing the
problem) and then do something (what?) to the disk to make
the partitions readable to Linux. Will I have to do
something to make the disk readable to the "compatible"
BIOS?

Thanks Joe