[TriLUG] web window size

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Tue Jul 20 14:08:50 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 01:20:34PM -0400, Russ Jones wrote:
> To my knowledge there is no way to affect the browser size from a
> server-side command. The only data the browser ever sees is what comes
> through the headers and/or HTML.

That is the conclusion that I have been reaching.

> That being said, your best bet is to use the server to direct browsers based
> upon whether they are mobile or not (ie: most mobile browsers carry a
> user-agent which will tell you as much). This way, you can simply redirect
> non-mobile browsers to the a different page altogether.

But even so, since there is very little on the page ( in the top left corner ), since I was already designing it for mobile use, the browser doesn't seem to care about that, and just shows a page of whatever size it pleases, for instance, a page that is designed to be 300px X 450px, for mobile use, is displayed on a page that is 1024x768.

Incidentally, I tried the Table idea, and had tried it with Divs before, but it had no effect on the displayed size, I was just able to see a border around the space that _I_ wanted to show, much smaller than was actually showing.

The problem seems to be browsers, such as on the iPhone, which pretend to be desktop browsers, but have much smaller screens, so should be given less information in smaller spaces.

Thanks,
Brian