[TriLUG] ODB2 bluetooth help needed

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sat Jul 31 10:31:58 EDT 2010

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010, Bill Farrow wrote:

> Hi, I am trying to connect my Ubuntu laptop to the On
> Board Diagnostics in my car using a $35 bluetooth adapter.
> I have been following a nice guide for doing this on an
> Andriod Phone [1].  From Ubuntu I can detect the ODB2
> bluetooth adapter, get the MAC address, and create a
> serial device for it (/dev/rfcomm0).

Hi Bill,

         I'd be interested on hearing progress here. About a
year ago I bought serial, usb and bluetooth versions of
these adapters and managed to get a connection to the car
via serial and usb (I think I got the rpm and a few other
measurements). I was thinking of making this a project for a
couple of months. I didn't get a bluetooth connection to the
ODB2 system and I didn't have a way of checking that my
linux bluetooth installation was working (no other bluetooth
devices to test with). I did manage to put in the bluetooth
PIN using a windows laptop.

 	I got busy with other things and haven't got back to
it. At the moment, if I wantd to do an ODB2 reading, I'd
have to go to the gas station or buy an ODB2 reader, which
is a little ignominious (self proclaimed Linux expert's
laptop doesn't talk to his car; windows and Mac users report
no problems).

 	Just googled for ODB2 and find a lot more entries
than I did a year ago.

 	Do you know about this

http://www.carobd.com/index.html

> When I run minicom I get prompted for the blutooth PIN,
> and then minicom fails to open the device.  I am not even
> sure if the pin number authentication succeeds...

I expect you'd see something like "OK" back.

> $ minicom
> <prompted for password at this point - gui dialog box>
> minicom: cannot open /dev/rfcomm0: No such file or directory

Does minicom list /dev/rfcomm0 as one of its devices?

Joe