[TriLUG] [OT] Recommendations for hosted VoIP

jonc at nc.rr.com jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Aug 5 00:24:05 EDT 2010

Well, I'm not going to be an unbiased opinion... but others have spoken well of us already, so I'll chime in.
I run the technical side of FeatureTel - and when it comes to VoIP we know what we are doing. We are on-net with TimeWarner and ATT (so folks on those network never touch the internet to get to us). Of course with Fusion you would connect directly to us with a Data T1 - fantastic voice quality, but only up to 1.5 Mb of internet bandwidth.

We don't recommend DSL (though some of our customers use it). DSL has some design issues that make it particularly poor as a choice for VoIP. We *do* recommend cable internet or fiber. Both these work particularly well.

You can test your connectivity to FeatureTel across a 24 hour period by going to vtest.featuretel.com and choosing the 24 hour test.  It is a very accurate indicator of what your VoIP service would be like using your current setup.  Of course we would want you to modify or update your firewall to put in place Bandwidth shaping and QoS...

Jon Carnes
http://www.FeatureTel.com