[TriLUG] Free DNS hosting revisited:

matt at noway2.thruhere.net matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Thu Aug 19 10:40:12 EDT 2010

I too have been using DynDNS.  I have been using them for about 18 months
now.  I have both the "free" domain and I have used them to register a
couple of other domains.  The thing about the free domains is that it
needs to be a sub-domain of one of theirs.

I have used their paid DNS service, called custom DNS for one of my
domains before deciding to host it myself.  As I had a paid services with
them, I was not subject to the 30 day timeout.

I used to have a dynamic IP from TWC, which changed a couple of times.  I
did not try using their software for updates and instead tried to use my
Netgear router for this function which supposedly supported them.  It
never worked and a change of IP caused a loss of connectivity until I
manually restored it.

Overall, I too am happy with DynDNS and my 'free' domain with them has
never caused me any trouble, or failed to resolve as long as it pointed to
the correct location.