[TriLUG] question about ytalk

Justis Peters jtrilug at indythinker.com
Fri Aug 20 13:07:56 EDT 2010

The OTR protocol is available on a significant number of IM clients:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off-the-Record_Messaging
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off-the-Record_Messaging#Client_support

OTR is a great solution in many cases, because you can continue to use
existing infrastructure, such as Jabber, Google Talk, or Yahoo IM, with
confidence that even the servers can't read your messages. There are
downsides, such as the requirement that your contacts need to also run a
client that supports it before you can make use of it.

For those who are using OTR for privacy reasons, it's important to note
that nothing stops the client software from logging the decrypted
contents of the conversation. Sure, the servers in the middle can only
log the encrypted version, but there might be a decrypted version on the
recipient's hard drive. This may or may not be desired, but you should
be aware of it.

To Warren specifically: You may consider running a server for one of
these locally, and using that to keep your conversations alive. They all
do "chat room" style interfaces:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SILC_(protocol)
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmpp
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Relay_Chat

I recognize that might be overkill, but it then gives you all sorts of
options on clients, logging, and long-lived chat sessions.

Kind regards,
Justis