[TriLUG] OT: Google advertising for spammers?

Douglas Ward dward at nc.rr.com
Mon Aug 30 15:53:19 EDT 2010

As an e-mail server admin who is not on these lists they are still a pain in
my bandwidth.  iContact (and the other companies listed in this thread) host
large mailing lists that basically include my entire user base.  A few
messages from these guys and there could be as many as a few thousand
messages in my queues in a few seconds.  I wish they would throttle their
output to one domain.  I'm sure weekly (or daily) newsletters  or whatever
they are sending isn't so critical that it has to be in someone's inbox
immediately.  It would also be nice if they dumped their load (no pun
intended) at night instead of right in the middle of our business hours.

We are a medium sized nonprofit with an anemic IT budget so I can't buy new
servers, add more bandwidth, etc...  I'm stuck with explaining to my end
users why their e-mail delivery times are slow at odd times.  I've strugged
at times with trying to figure out ways to limit their throughput on my side
but they just have too many guns pointed at my servers.  I gave up and let
it go...