[TriLUG] alternate ways to reduce spam (was: OT: Google advertising for spammers?)

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Tue Aug 31 19:57:04 EDT 2010

I don't go in to nearly that level of trouble. I run my own mail server with postfix, amavisd, spamassasin, some RBL's and postgrey.  Postgrey and amavis keep most of it away.  I get maybe one spam email a a day at that.  I've never tweaked spamassasin, and I think it's postgrey that does a lot of the hard work, along with the RBL's.  I've been considering trying policy-weightd to see how effective that is.  The amount of spam I get is small enough, that I don't feel the need to try to maintain aliases.  I use my gmail account for all the mailing list related items from FOSS lists.  And I have a throw away yahoo address I use if I ever have someone bug me enough that I have  to give them an address.  Such as when you have to register to download something.  And + is the default separator in postfix

Matt P.