[TriLUG] enable latin1 encoding for postgresql

Le C.T t.thanhcle at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 15:57:35 EDT 2010

I am trying to create a database using 'Latin1' encoding with this psql
command "*psql=# create database testdb1 with template=template0
encoding='LATIN1'*"

Got the error:

ERROR:  encoding LATIN1 does not match locale en_US.UTF-8
DETAIL:  The chosen LC_CTYPE setting requires encoding UTF8.

Then, I tried:

*psql=#set client_encoding to LATIN1;*

Same error

*$export LANG=en_US.iso88591*

Same error

Output of command '*locale -a*' does not show Latin1 (which I think is
correct because it's a group of languages and should not show up here, but
some of my colleagues said it should show up in that command)

The server is running CentOS 5.4, 64-bit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Thomas