[TriLUG] OT: cheap mobile stream playing?
Tom_Roche at pobox.com
Tue Oct 19 16:40:20 EDT 2010
I listen to mostly either FM or downloaded files, and I listen to them
mostly on a cheap Sansa player and consumer-grade in-ear headphones.
But some of my audio is streamed (e.g. last.fm) so I'd like to have a
way to play streams (presuming I'm in wi-fi-range) that
* doesn't involve conventional speakers. I'd like to be able to hear
streams when others in the house are sleeping or studying.
* is small. The cheapest way I can see to do this would be to put my
netbook in a fanny pack and plug the headphones into that. I'd like
a smaller solution.
* is wireless. The next cheapest way I can see to do this would use a
very long mini-phone-jack-to-same extension cord; I don't want that.
* is cheap. The next cheapest way I can see to do this would be to buy
some decent-quality RF headphones (with transmitter, charger, etc),
which I've seen for $60. I'd prefer half that price or less (i.e.,
what I paid for my Sansa). I could also do this with a data plan for
my phone, but that would soon get more expensive.
* provides reasonable audio quality. Based on the equipment above, I'm
obviously not a major audiophile :-) but I don't want really crappy
Suggestions for this usecase are appreciated.
More information about the TriLUG