[TriLUG] Dual-boot

Joseph Tate dragonstrider at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 20:53:34 EDT 2010

You really only need 6-8GB of disk space for Linux, until you start
getting a lot of personal data on there.

That said, I don't know that I would recommend anyone dual boot
anymore.  Both OS have decent virtualization platforms available, so
pick your primary OS, and then boot the secondary OS in a virtual
machine when it is wanted.  For me, Linux is primary, and I have two
XP images I boot when I need to test my software on IE7 or IE8.

On Windows, Virtual Server was pretty good in 2004 when I used it
last, and now it's free.  VirtualBox is free and Free and runs on both
Windows and Linux.

My pro-tip for multi-OS folks is to have some sort of shared storage
so that you don't duplicate your data; either a USB harddrive, network
share, or separate file system accessible from both OS so that you can
share and transfer files between the two.

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 7:00 PM, Henry Middleton <hm1315 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a Toshiba laptop with a 223 GB hard drive. It already has Win7. I am
> thinking of making it a dual-boot. When I partition the drive how much space
> is good for each OS? I also want to make separate partitions for Ubuntu's
> root, swap, and home.
> --
> This message was sent to: Joseph Tate <dragonstrider at gmail.com>

Joseph Tate
Personal e-mail: jtate AT dragonstrider DOT com
Web: http://www.dragonstrider.com