[TriLUG] OT (not Linux) Database Help Request

matt at noway2.thruhere.net matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Tue Nov 2 09:52:47 EDT 2010

Thank you for your reply.  Proverbial driver issues, believe it or not, is
what started this whole endeavor.  A vendor provided an Excel plug in for
their SQL Server based front-end product and it doesn't work very well or
reliably.  Consequently, I started trying to develop my own tool to get
the job done.

showed both where an option had been set to tell SQL Server to not return
the results and how to iterate through a result set.  This appears to have
solved the problem.

In case it helps anyone in the future, the answer was that if you want a
result set returned, don't use the "adExecuteNoRecords" option. I am not
sure why the MS Help examples put that in there, but they did.  You can
then declare an ADODB.Recordset and use this to accept the return value
from an execute command.  This will give you a list of associative arrays
that you can iterate through to access the data.

It also looks like w3schools has some good tutorials on ADO, which was a
pleasant surprise.

The whole process with the Microsoft based tools has been an exercise in
frustration and annoyance.  Things just shouldn't be as difficult as they
are with them.