[TriLUG] AWStats and/or other web log analyzer?

Chris Merrill chris at webperformance.com
Thu Nov 4 16:08:10 EDT 2010

I'd like to setup a log analyzer on my web server to analyze my traffic - look
at what pages are popular, which ones aren't, where traffic has been coming
from...the usual stuff.  I'd like to view the info in a browser...I'd like to
be able to easily secure that information.  And I'd like pretty charts and graphs,
not just raw numbers :>

I'm running CentOS 5.5 with Apache in mostly the default configuration.

Question #1 - AWStats seems like it does what I need, though I've only spent a few
minutes perusing the docs thus far. Should I be looking at anything else?

Question #2 - If I choose AWStats, do I need to change my logrotate configuration
so that the logs stick around for AWStats to analyze, or does it store the
analysis data elsewhere?  My logrotate configuration has not been changed from the
default installed settings, as best I can recall.

TIA!
Chris

chris at webperformance.com                |  http://webperformance.com
919-433-1762                            |  919-845-7601

Web Performance: Website Load Testing Software & Services