[TriLUG] AWStats and/or other web log analyzer?

Chris Merrill chris at webperformance.com
Thu Nov 4 16:19:03 EDT 2010

On 11/4/2010 4:12 PM, Michael Peters wrote:
> What do you mean secure this information? Hide from the general public or not allow any other entity

Hide from the general public. So, for instance, if the analyzer spits out static HTML files and
charts to a subfolder of my website during a cron job, I can easily secure that with a .htaccess
file.  If it generates things on the fly via PHP, I may be able to take the same approach. I'm not
sure what other possibilities there are?

> ever to see? If you can deal with Google knowing your traffic, I'd highly suggest google analytics.
> Really nice web UI (blows AWStats out of the water), easy setup and no maintenance needed.
>
> The only thing GA can't do is track non-html assets. So if you need statistics on large images, PDF
> docs, etc then it's not much use.

GA is nice - we use it extensively at work.  BUT, Google already knows too much about me...and I
also want to track downloads of some files, so that won't do it for me.

chris at webperformance.com                |  http://webperformance.com
919-433-1762                            |  919-845-7601

Web Performance: Website Load Testing Software & Services