[TriLUG] AWStats and/or other web log analyzer?

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Thu Nov 4 16:21:41 EDT 2010

 > Question #1 - AWStats seems like it does what I need

I have been happy with awstats.  I did spend a little time writing
a script that gets called from cron that runs through the logs for
all of my virtual hosts.  I found that better than maintaining
separate awstats config files for each virtual host.

 > Question #2 - If I choose AWStats, do I need to change my
 > logrotate configuration so that the logs stick around

I did not have to change mine.  I keep separate logs for each
virtual host, and I rotate them weekly, keeping them for a year.
Awstats keeps track of what it has read using rddtool.

 > easily secure that information.

Sure, you can keep the stats wherever you want.  I hide mine
in a directory that requires an HTTP auth password to see it.

Alan