[TriLUG] AWStats and/or other web log analyzer?

Robert Dale robdale at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 16:27:20 EDT 2010

I had awstats setup behind apache httpd with mod_auth.

The logs were from clustered servers so they were copied to a central
place and used the awstats merge tool before parsing.
awstats keeps its own database so you don't have to keep the logs
around forever, but if you decide to change some parsing options, then
you may need to reparse the old logs if you want those options to have
any effect.

If you rotate logs nightly, then it's pretty easy to set it up to look
at the latest rotated log.

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 4:08 PM, Chris Merrill <chris at webperformance.com> wrote:
> I'd like to setup a log analyzer on my web server to analyze my traffic - look
> at what pages are popular, which ones aren't, where traffic has been coming
> from...the usual stuff.  I'd like to view the info in a browser...I'd like to
> be able to easily secure that information.  And I'd like pretty charts and graphs,
> not just raw numbers :>
>
> I'm running CentOS 5.5 with Apache in mostly the default configuration.
>
> Question #1 - AWStats seems like it does what I need, though I've only spent a few
> minutes perusing the docs thus far. Should I be looking at anything else?
>
> Question #2 - If I choose AWStats, do I need to change my logrotate configuration
> so that the logs stick around for AWStats to analyze, or does it store the
> analysis data elsewhere?  My logrotate configuration has not been changed from the
> default installed settings, as best I can recall.
>
> TIA!
> Chris
>
> --
> Chris Merrill                           |  Web Performance, Inc.
> chris at webperformance.com                |  http://webperformance.com
> 919-433-1762                            |  919-845-7601
>
> Web Performance: Website Load Testing Software & Services

Robert Dale