[TriLUG] Question on AT&T DSL Extreme 6.0

Dwain Sims dsims1 at nc.rr.com
Fri Nov 12 15:40:07 EST 2010

Hi folks.

I just got my November Time Warner bill and my Road Runner high speed is
going up to $52.95 per month!  Outragous!  An 6% cost hike.  And what is
inflation right now?  1% maybe?

Basic Cable is also going up 8.4%!  Time to buy that digital antenna.

Anyway, I am looking to make a switch to DSL with AT&T, since I can get
it for a year for $19.95 per month, but there is one little stipuation
that bothers me.  On their website they say that you can connect up to 4
computers on your DSL service.

My questions are:

1. Do they enforce this?

2.  Can they even tell how many systems are connected if you plug a
router in between the modem and your network?

I am not even sure how many systems I might have hooked up on any given
day (3-8?) but I don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire.

If any TriLug folks out there have any opinions on this I would love to
hear them.  Any opinions on AT&T DSL in general?

I have been on TWC Cable Modem for 10+ years but it looks like it might
be time to fire them.

thanks

Dwain