[TriLUG] OT: Earthlink and ISPs

Jim jjtuttle at trilug.org
Wed Nov 24 12:25:05 EST 2010

I recently moved to Earthlink Max and am pretty disappointed in the
service.  Max is advertised as (up to) 15 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up.  My
peak realized speed is 10 Mbps down and 500 kbps up.  On evenings and
weekends, though, I get ~3 Mbps down and 250 kbps up.

I was trying to escape TWC who, after dropping their Business Class deal
with Duke, dropped my speed by 50% for the same price.  Dealing with
Earthlink has been pretty awful.  It always goes something like this:
Call Earthlink call-center in India; get transferred to Time Warner; get
told that your problem should be handled by Earthlink support and
directed to call Earthlink.  Later, rinse, repeat.

I was looking into Initrex because I thought they had a DSL package.
I'm interested in getting away from companies that treat me like crap.
Any suggestions?

jt