[TriLUG] OT: Earthlink and ISPs and USENET

gigaFusion at earthlink.net gigaFusion at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 26 17:29:30 EST 2010

Jim,

I live in Apex and have plain old Earthlink thru TWC and I get a pretty
reliable 6 megabits down and about 350 kbps up, out of a theoretical 7
megabits down and 384 kbps up.

I *suspect* that what you get in the "Max" plan is to be a great
robo-citizen and maximize their profits for them by accepting a
never-guaranteed data rate. So I say, f**k them, and stop paying extra to
get screwed. Go with basic service!

Note too that the Earthlink account consists of 8 sub-accounts, and each is
entitled to 5 gigabytes of GigaNews Usenet (formerly SuperNews) per 30 day
period (sliding window accounting method) before any throttling sets in.
That usenet service is not restricted to use through your EL IP#, but can be
used from anywhere, including the use of different sub-accounts
simultaneously in different cities.

GigaNews Usenet has a Binary Group article retention time of at least 200
days in my experience, (possibly as long as 841 days: "Giganews' Usenet
access offers 841 days of binary retention, 2713 days of text retention"
http://www.giganews.com/usenet-glossary/Usenet-Access.html )

Access for Earthlink customers is through any (or all) of 5 different News
Server Names, all of which carry over the older SuperNews server names, and
all apparently resolve to the same IP#.
See http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r23026094-Earthlink-usenet-Giganews and
http://support.earthlink.net/articles/tools/earthlink-newsgroups-faq.php and
http://blogs.earthlink.net/2007/08/usenet_moves_to_supernews.php