[TriLUG] Have a job: Linux-leaning sysadmin - NetApp

John Brier johnbrier at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 21:41:14 EST 2010

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 2:35 PM,  <dave at jamsoft.com> wrote:

> This new intermediate-level position is in my group but I'm not the hiring manager.
>
> https://careers.netapp.com/1033/ASP/TG/cim_advsearch.asp - enter 11385BR in the keyword field.

hm that link didn't work, i had to go to the home page and enter the
req number.. here it is for others

Business Card Title / Posting Title	Systems Administrator
Job Summary	Job Summary:
At the NetApp Customer Proof of Concept (CPOC) Labs, we simulate
portions of customer environments to demonstrate product functionality
or to determine performance characteristics. The environments vary
widely: from Linux render farms to ISP-style mail environments to
large data warehouses. We are a worldwide sales enablement function,
and our mission is to drive revenue by performing POCs that are needed
for near-term or strategic sales opportunities.

Currently, we are seeking a Systems Administrator to manage the lab
infrastructure. We need an enthusiastic individual who enjoys a
challenge, as the environment changes rapidly, with new POC requests
for large revenue opportunities arriving daily.

Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Maintaining physical aspects of the infrastructure, in use and in
storage, e.g., equipment acquisition (ordering, tracking, receiving,
etc.), inventory management, and general hardware maintenance
activities
- Installing and configuring various Operating Systems and
applications (and maintaining system images)
- Monitoring system activity levels and availability; and reporting on
resource utilization
- Designing portions of the lab infrastructure (e.g., physical
cabling, rack layouts, data storage, backup and disaster recovery,
etc.)
- Documenting operational procedures and lab infrastructure designs
- Performing off-hour maintenance activities as needed
Job Requirements	Requirements:

Technical
- Good knowledge of a UNIX or UNIX-like OS (e.g., Linux, Solaris,
HP-UX, AIX) and Windows OS (e.g., 2003 server)
- Good knowledge of TCP/IP and Ethernet network concepts
- Good understanding of disk storage systems (NetApp is desirable) and
storage protocols (e.g., NFS, CIFS, FC SAN, and iSCSI SAN)
- Experience with scripting languages (e.g., Perl, Bourne Shell, and Tcl/Tk)
- Good knowledge of server virtualization (preferably VMware)
- Desirable: working knowledge of enterprise applications (e.g.,
Oracle database or Exchange)

Non-Technical
- Ability to work off-hours occasionally for system upgrades and
emergency issue handling
- Ability to manage time effectively and deliver objectives when expected
- Ability to clearly articulate (written and verbal) complex [technical] topics
- Good interpersonal communication and customer service skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with employees within the group and
across functions
- Ability to handle multiple tasks concurrently
Education and Experience	Education & Experience:
- A minimum of 5 years of experience is required.
- A bachelor degree in an appropriate technology subject is required
(e.g., Computer Science or Electrical Engineering); equivalent
experience may be acceptable
Posting Category	Customer Support Engineering
Information Technology
Systems Engineering
Full time / Part time	Full-time
Posting Location	USA - North Carolina - Research Triangle Park
Requisition Number	11385BR