[TriLUG] Job posting for Senior Database Administrator
mnecaise at lulu.com
Wed Dec 8 10:37:50 EST 2010
Lulu is hiring a Senior Database Administrator for our office in Raleigh, North Carolina. The position is responsible for delivery of all database services company-wide. This position demands a highly competent, motivated individual. Primary responsibilities will include production database availability, replication, backup/recovery, DR, reporting/BI, 24x7 on-call rotation, and working with software development teams. This position will work with Oracle, PostgreSQL, and MySQL databases.
The Senior DBA must drive operational excellence in Lulu’s database environments and demonstrate thought leadership around database technology. The Senior DBA must also have excellent communication skills and be able to open up and maintain lines of communication to both technical and non-technical customers and stakeholders throughout the business. Finally, the Senior DBA must demonstrate strong ownership of database-related problems and incident resolution. Responsibilities
· Ensure 24x7 operation of Lulu’s mission-critical database systems.
· Perform common database administration tasks for Oracle, PostgreSQL, and MySQL relational database systems.
· Perform common system administration tasks for Linux DB servers running on Intel x86, VMware, and IBM pSeries platforms.
· Enhance operational standards and policies for Lulu’s DB environments using industry experience, best practices, and Lulu’s business needs.
· Collaborate with global software development teams to enhance organizational standards for SQL and increase data modeling competencies
· Provide thought leadership on data modeling, RDBMS, and database infrastructure strategies.
· Develop and implement strategies for executing DDL in 24x7 on-line systems without service interruption.
· Identify and resolve performance problems with database systems, collaborating with software development teams when necessary.
· Ensure reliable operation of the business intelligence database environment.
· Lead database performance tuning efforts.
· Perform capacity planning duties for Lulu’s DB environments.
· Maintain and incrementally enhance disaster recovery capabilities for Lulu’s databases.
· Work with QA and IT teams to ensure data security for production, stage, and development environments
· Participate in 24x7 IT operations on-call rotation (approximately 13 weeks per year) Requirements
· 5+ years in a DBA position
· 5+ years experience in database server and SQL performance analysis and tuning
· 5+ years experience scripting and automating DBA tasks using bash, Perl, Python, etc.
· 3+ years experience data modeling and schema design
· Professional experience with Oracle or DB2 (PostgreSQL desirable)
· Ability to prioritize workload and manage expectations of multiple stakeholders such as software developers, systems administrators, and BI analysts
· Experience supporting 24x7x365 database operations
· Excellent communication skills; ability to communicate technical information to both technical and non-technical groups
· Experience with Unix/Linux system administration
· BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience Bonus Points
· PostgreSQL database administration
· MySQL database administration
· Storage administration (SAN, NAS, DAS, LVM)
· VMware virtualization
· IBM pSeries virtualization (LPAR)
· Data warehouses, OLAP schema design, ETL, and BI reporting tools
· Software development, covering the full SDLC
· Agile programming methodologies (Scrum, XP)
To learn more about Lulu, please visit our website at www.lulu.com
If you would like to know more about this position or apply, please email Melissa Necaise at mnecaise at lulu.com
Lulu Enterprises, Inc.
3101 Hillsborough Street
Raleigh, NC 27607
( 919) 447-3260
( 919) 447-3197 fax
More information about the TriLUG