[TriLUG] Linux Printing Suggestions

Matt Flyer matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Mon Dec 27 09:55:40 EST 2010

Happy Holidays to everyone!

This year my wife had a case of "on my wish list but didn't receive",
for a new printer.  I have been researching Linux printing and even
found lists that will recommend drivers for a particular model, but it
is really difficult to correlate this to an actual recommended item or
worse yet, to go and get one off the shelf in a store.  If possible, she
wants an all-in-one (printer and scanner), but one that will handle
photos and photo paper.  It would be preferable to have the black
cartridges separate from the color ones.

I am also finding that if a particular model is reviewed as working
well, it is typically a review that is 3-4 years old, meaning less
likelihood of finding one in a store.

Does anyone have any recommendations for models or brands in general
that work well with Linux, such as generally having available drivers?
Similarly are there any models to stay away from?