[TriLUG] OT: Windows Help - Please No Flames

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Mon Jan 3 15:37:58 EST 2011

  Hey guys,
  Have a Windows XP Home problem I'm trying to fix for our pastor. I'm
not as familiar with XP Home as I am with XP Pro and need some
suggestions on repairing the network issues (please no "Install Linux"
type answers).

Please email me offline if you have any suggestions.

Here's the scoop:

- Dell Dimension 3000
- Intel Pro100VE
- Windows XP Home SP3

Gets an address/subnet/GW/DNS via DHCP, but cannot ping gateway, or DNS
server. I connected my laptop to the same cable and am able to get out
to the net (google, yahoo).

I replaced the NIC with a known good Intel Pro 100 and the same thing
happens with it. I updated it with SP3 (was at SP2). Same issue.

ideas?

TIA,
Roy

Roy Vestal