[TriLUG] "burning in" a new machine

Charles Mangin option8 at option8.com
Tue Jan 4 15:48:48 EST 2011

i've just finished building my first from-parts PC, and am ready to install Fedora on it to use as my home file server.

since i've never done this before, i was wondering what kind of "burn in" i should try to do, to test all the components in the box. it's a fairly simple setup with an intel microATX mobo and core i3, sata HD and DVDRW. i'm used to running spinrite for testing and marking bad sectors on new HDDs, but what's the best way to stress test the power supply and cpu? again, i'll be installing Fedora, so a test suite that runs on Fedora would be ideal.

thanks!

--charles.