[TriLUG] OT: Windows Help - Please No Flames

Andy Random andy.random at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 17:50:08 EST 2011

On Mon, 3 Jan 2011, Roy Vestal wrote:

> Have a Windows XP Home problem I'm trying to fix for our pastor. I'm not as
> familiar with XP Home as I am with XP Pro and need some suggestions on
> repairing the network issues (please no "Install Linux" type answers).

Sounds like you know the cable and port on the router/switch are good.

You think the PC h/w is but can you really be sure? I'd suggest you try
booting the machine using a Linux live CD (the next best thing to
installing Linux) and seeing if that works. I mostly use Ubuntu for this
but there are a number of lighter weight live CDs out there if the machine
is old/low spec. If that works you know the hardware is good.

When you boot under XP what values to you get for IP/subnet mask/gateway
are they the same (well IP in the same subnet at least) as when you
connected your laptop or got from a live CD? If they aren't then try
switching to a static config and use the same values that your laptop had
see if that helps.

If the hardware is good and you have sensible values (similar to working
ones) configured take a look at the routing table (from a dos prompt
"route print") I've seen issues before with XP where the routing table
somehow gets messed up and routes things away from the gateway.

Hope that helps,

   Andy