[TriLUG] Slightly OT: editing mp3 tags

stan briggs stanbriggs at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 08:52:43 EST 2011

all,
wow, i gotta' admit that i did not expect this much high-quality feedback
this quickly on something that is, admittedly, slightly OT.

with that said let me describe what i have and what i want to do and see if
we can apply your experiences further ...

my music directory is further divided by artist and, within there, album
directories where the songs are. nothing special there. the file names are
complete and long and tell me artist-album-cut#-song. but this detail is not
in the mp3 tags. when i put these songs into iTunes (as one example) i get a
bunch of Unknown Artist/Unknown Album entries.

so, recognizing my source data and it's defects does that change anyone's
opinions or suggestions?

thanks, again, for all the replies,
stan

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 8:23 AM, bak <bak at picklefactory.org> wrote:

> There's a python program called 'beets' that I like very much. Compares
> existing tags to MusicBrainz and makes a billion nitpicky change
> suggestions, then moves things into the sort of directory structure you
> specify. Very good for "import all this stuff" as opposed to individual
> or single-album file-tweaking like EasyTAG excels at.
>
> --bak
>
> On 1/10/11 11:54 PM, Jim wrote:
> > On 01/10/2011 09:20 PM, stan briggs wrote:
> >> All,
> >> Who has had success with a tool that allows you to edit mp3 tags
> >> in-mass. I seem to recall a tool that imported data into a spreadsheet
> >> style interface thereby making it easy to make mass changes across
> >> many files.
> >> BSDunix, OSX, Win ... I don't really care.
> >> Suggestions?
> >> Thanks,
> >> Stan
> >>
> > I've used EasyTag too.  However, it depends on the level of mediation
> > your files need.  I had a lot of very random, poorly tagged files.  I
> > used Picard to do the initial work of identifying files and EasyTag to
> > do the detail work.
> >

> --
> This message was sent to: stan b. briggs <stanbriggs at gmail.com>
> TriLUG FAQ          :