[TriLUG] Slightly OT: Online Training and Certs

rleathers at americanri.com rleathers at americanri.com
Tue Jan 11 09:51:59 EST 2011

Roy,

When I needed Cisco certification I just spent a couple weeks of quality
time banging away at a stack of gear. Remote lab stacks can be rented from
all over (even eBay). My professional experience was in networking so I
didn't do a lot of extra studying, but I did make myself flash cards to
memorize things like frame/packet/datagram/segment structures, various
protocol timers, etc

When I needed Microsoft certification I got a copy of the Transcender
exams. When you take those tests, if you fail a question you get a handy
remediation paragraph explaining which answer is right and why. This is
critical because MS exams are notorious for questions which you'll get
wrong unless you understand "the Microsoft way" of thinking. So, I
immediately failed every question on every exam and then studied the
remediation text. I passed six exams in six weeks this way. You won't see
identical questions, but once you have learned "the Microsoft way" you'll
be able to guess the correct answer to all of the seemingly subjective
questions.

I will also give a shout out to a local business. Ken Foster at AEnigma in
Cary used to teach MS certification classes. I bet he still does. Ken had
THE highest pass rate for MCSE students in the nation, so if you have a
little $ to spend you might look him up and see if he has some special
sauce in the way of a class, some cheat sheet style notes, or something in
between that meets your needs.

Good luck.