[TriLUG] help?!?

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Wed Jan 12 16:19:40 EST 2011

At 2:29pm -0500 Wed, 12 Jan 2011, Jon Hayes wrote:
> im new here. i am looking for help. i am writing a program in
> python, and looking for a mentor. suggestions on where to get help?
> please no jfgi , as thats obviously where i will start.

Unfortunately, I daresay Google will be your best bet.  There's
certainly something to learning with a partner, but this is a field
filled with autodidacts; i.e. unlike some other disciplines, there are
ubiquitous quality resources for most tasks literally at your fingertips.

I'd suggest your best bet would be to outline to yourself what you'd
like the program to accomplish, then try to find different pieces and
parts of functionality online.  Especially in the context of Free
software, often the best way to accomplish a programming task is to find
another piece of code that roughly does what you want, then to hollow it
out and make it your own.

Though we've been increasingly more of a social club, I would personally
welcome some more technical questions.  To that end, as questions come
up, do ask.  I'm sure someone will be able to help.

You may also appreciate checking out some other user groups.  I think we
also have a local Python users group ... yes: http://trizpug.org/

There's also irc.freenode.net -> #python

Cheers and good luck,

Kevin