[TriLUG] UPS Recommendations?

Randy Barlow randy at electronsweatshop.com
Sun Jan 16 17:12:30 EST 2011

Thanks for the responses so far. I've learned a few things about UPS's
today that I am wondering about. I've got this power supply:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

The important thing to note is that it is an Active PFC power supply:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_factor#Active_PFC

I've read that typical inexpensive UPS's (I think we should call them
LIPS - Less Interruptible Power Supplies), don't actually produce sine
waves, but approximations of sine waves, often with stepping or
triangulation when they switch to battery power. I also read that such
signals can be damaging to the UPS and the power supply. One post
claimed that I should use a Pure Sine Wave UPS, such as this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102050&Tpk=CyberPower%20PP1500SWT2

It seems that Pure Sine Wave UPS's cost a whole lot more. Can anyone in
the LUG confirm or disconfirm what I've been reading? The inexpensive
UPS's I've been looking at don't say anywhere that I can find that they
shouldn't be used with Active PFC power supplies.

I do wonder if this is what killed my current UPS.

--
Randy