[TriLUG] UPS Recommendations?

Aaron Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Sun Jan 16 21:56:33 EST 2011

It's been a while since I've had my hands dirty with an oscilloscope,
troubleshooting generators, UPSes and power supplies... so take my
advice with a grain of salt.

In my experience, I've had UPSes *themselves* be grumpy about unclean
upstream power, but never had power supplies be grumpy about unclean
power.  At the worst I would expect things to be slightly less
efficient due to the side effects of low power factor with less-clean
sine waves... but nothing that's going to impact you measurably in
home use.

I'll clarify what I mean about grumpy UPSes.  We had some older APC
UPSes which were sensitive to the quality of the incoming power.  If
the since wave wasn't nice and well... sine... :) ... they'd trip and
refuse to accept the incoming power, running off battery until they
died.  This never happened with utility power, it only happened with
our relatively cheap generator when it was under heavy load.  Because
it was a low-mass natural gas powered unit, it produced a rather
"dirty" sine wave.  With an oscilloscope you could visibly see where
the two cylinders of the motor fired, causing the engine to speed up,
and where the low mass of the rotating engine slowed between those
firings.  There were also some amusing harmonics, further dirtying the
incoming sine wave.  All told, this made some of the UPSes *very*
grumpy.  :)  Those that had a button on the back, allowing us to dial
down the sensitivity to incoming power worked great.  Choose the most
forgiving setting and they worked fine.  We just swapped out those
which did not have that setting.

The moral of the story, if you're running a big datacenter, spring for
a big diesel generator with a lot of rotating mass, which overcomes
this problem... or don't be careful what UPSes you use.  As with any
emergency preparedness: Test, test, and test again.

Aaron S. Joyner