[TriLUG] Printers and windows support

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Sun Jan 16 23:44:00 EST 2011

At 8:10pm -0500 Sun, 16 Jan 2011, MG Monza wrote:
>> A woman customer called the Canon help desk with a problem with her
>> printer.
>
> Cause women are soooo stupid.
>
> No wonder there are so few women in Open Source.

I honestly read right over that when I read the joke.  The part that
caught my attention and that I found amusing was the analysis by Dotan;
Omer's initial tidbit was just the primer.  However, it was put to me thus:

-----
[Omer's] joke hinges on the ignorance of the person seeking support
(Windows vs. a window), and MG believes the joke's author didn't flip a
coin to decide the sex/gender of the caller.
-----

When put in that light (no coin flip), the fact that I skipped right
over it is enough to make your point stand, MG.  The original joke was
perhaps in bad taste, and could have just as easily read "A customer
called the Canon help desk about a printer problem."

I hope you were still able to find Dotan's "technical" analysis amusing,
but I absolutely agree that a fair number of us would do well to be more
aware of (our) language, among other things.

Kevin